SMILE WIDE℠ It’s Smile Month
June is National Smile Month. It’s time to SMILE WIDE℠ and celebrate smiles of all shapes and sizes.
Some interesting smile facts to kick-off the celebrations:
Celebrate your smile this month by remembering to brush for 2 minutes twice a day, floss once a day, and schedule your next dental visit.
- Smiles are contagious. Researchers in Sweden found that people have difficulty frowning when they look at others who are smiling. In fact, they smiled without even thinking about it.
- It’s easier to smile than to frown. The average smile uses about 22 facial muscles while the average frown uses about 37 muscles.
- There are 19 types of smiles. A researcher at UC San Francisco identified 19 types of smiles.
- Smile more, live longer. People who smile often live an average of 7 years longer than those who don’t.
- Women smile more than men. Women smile an average of 62 times a day while men smile about 8 times.