National Soup Month = Souper Smiles
January is known for healthy resolutions and new perspectives. Slurp your way to a healthy smile with these tooth-healthy soups.
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Why it’s souper: If you have bad breath or sores in your mouth you may not be getting enough vitamin B3. Fortunately, chicken is a good source of vitamin B3.
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup water
2 cups uncooked wide egg noodles
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Increase temperature to high, cover and cook 10-15 minutes longer, until noodles are tender.
Gluten- Free Low Carb Broccoli Cheese Soup
Why it’s souper: According to the Academy of General Dentistry, the calcium in cheese and the calcium and phosphates in milk and other dairy products help put back minerals your teeth might have lost.
4 cups broccoli, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1½ cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
¾ cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a 6 quart crockpot place whole chicken breasts on the bottom and top with carrots, onion, celery, garlic, olive oil, thyme and bay leaf.
- Next add in chicken broth, water and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat 6 – 7 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken breasts and cut into bite sized pieces. Place chicken back in to the crockpot. Now add in egg noodles and parsley.
If you find yourself craving soup at the last minute, take off your apron and try one of these local soup hotspots:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together stock, onions, broccoli and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Once it comes to a low boil, cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream and continue to coke for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses, until smooth (about 1-2 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately with a smile!
- Soup Daddy Soups
- Lect’s Soup Stop
- Michael’s Market and Bistro